Sunday, October 23, 2011

Are We Too Dependent on Technology?

Technology- I attend meetings at my local weight administration group. I'm a lifetime member and still enjoy the support and networking and sometimes I get good article ideas. At the moment my idea got here not from the meeting topic, but from what was happening.

This group automated the operations of the main "retailer front" locations with computer systems a number of years ago. The remote places they lease only for the assembly times, like at church buildings and gyms, usually are not automated. So there is obviously nonetheless a procedure for working a meeting manually, nevertheless the automated centers now not inventory the supplies for this and a few of the workers members either have never been trained on, or have lengthy forgotten, the guide procedures.

As we speak the computer systems had been down, and even with the assistance of technical support the staff weren't able to get them mounted by the end of the meeting. They weighed individuals manually and sold products, but attendance and product sales were not being recorded. That is an issue because the staff earns commissions primarily based on attendance and product gross sales! This will even cause a slight drawback for the members who don't prepay for a month-to-month pass, because next week the computer will want to charge them for a missed week and the receptionist might want to override the charge.

As a former employee, I beloved the Technology as a result of it improved accuracy and saved time. However I do really feel it reduced the human aspect somewhat. The receptionist is now so busy looking at the laptop display, scanning things, and clicking on options (when the computer is working:) that I really feel eye contact has been reduced. And that reduces empathy and feelings of being linked which are VITAL to this organization.

I notice that most of the issues we have as we speak depend on technology. However have we turn into too depending on it? Are we shedding the human aspect of enterprise?

I just upgraded to a "smart phone" this week. I confess I've needed it for a while, so I came up with the excuse of eager to check electronic mail and Facebook whereas away without having to hold my computer and possibly pay for web access. I really find it ironic that the low price motel chains present free wireless access while the bigger, costly hotels cost for in-room access. With more individuals getting sensible telephones every single day, I'm wondering how quickly the large resorts will stop providing access exterior of their offices within the lobby that are usually free to use.

I like the concept of the good telephone, however ever since my husband acquired his, he is usually distracted when I am trying to talk to him. It is just too simple to verify mail or visit cyberspace! One man even told me this week that he feels the entire kids nowadays (and some adults!) discuss solely in textual content messages. He mentioned they're always referring to "talking" to their friends when truly they only exchanged textual content messages.

I like technology. However I escaped my profession in it to have more human contact. Sure, I know you might be studying this on a computer and I'm writing it on a computer! But I submit articles in the hope of truly talking with a few of my readers in the future!

Technology is grand and extends our reach. However don't forget that you've got eyes and ears for a cause, and your mouth isn't just for consuming! And my good telephone will never exchange hugs.  
Technology         

No comments:

Post a Comment